Saturday, December 15, 2007

Counting

My psalms portrait is in a variety of stages:

  • some translated over a year ago are coloured almost randomly - it wasn't intended to be random but there are so many subjects I quickly lost track of the colour coding.
  • some have colour coding from my first gamatria formula and some from the second formula. (I think I will stick to the second formula and for the moment keep it - the colour then describes the word per the consonants - and words that add up to the same number have the same colour - it's fun if nothing else. The psalm heading colour is the colour of the total of all words in the psalm.)
  • some have structure marked by connectors and some by colour of text and some by various combinations and some no structure marked. Eventually, I hope to have all psalms with verifiable structure marked somehow.
  • a few have additional diagrams in prosodic form - I am still stumped as to exactly how I will accomplish this feat. Step 1 is to revise my rather accidental verset subdivisions. Eventually, I hope to have a prosodic version of all psalms but still showing somehow the inner verbal and conceptual recurrences.

I am also trying to count accurately. There are (assuming no errors in my program for counting and assuming that I am counting what I think I am counting) 19,528 words in the Psalter - at least in the version of the text I am using. There are 7834 distinct words - in their written form.

There is no easy way to ensure that I have the correct root (lexical form) for each of these words, so I am stumped for the moment on analysis by root - with accuracy and completeness. I suspect I might get 80% right with an algorithm. But the problem requires more information - when a suffix or a prefix swallows up a consonant, it is not possible to reverse the process and 'read' the root from the word - you have to decide which of several roots it might be.

(It is not different in any language - if I give you )ntrntnl in English - what is the root? ntn of course - nations are a given, eh? - but try doing that with a program. You have to decide what length root you are looking for, then match it against candidate roots, repeat for other lengths and then choose the probable meaning!)

I hope I can count easily based on each psalm - I will try a few and as I review each psalm will add a table to show which words are unique to that psalm, which repeated, etc.

I have several transcription variations. In the table I will have the Hebrew transliterated into a soundable form for those who do not read Hebrew. I will eventually have the Hebrew consonantal text in Hebrew for those who do. And I will sort and search by a Latin-based consonantal text so that the masoretic markings do not impede sort and search algorithms. Mater lexiones will still get in the way since sometimes they matter and sometimes and sometimes they obscure equivalence of words. (In English you can't avoid the spelling issues either - color, colour)

Here's an example in text: Line 1 is pointed text and the easy to read lower case transcription

) is a grunt - a glottal stop will do. ` is a deeper grunt - spit out the glottal. c does not occur in Hebrew so I have used it for Ts which does occur as a single letter frequently. + is a t. Hebrew has two t's and a different t means a different root so I have to transcribe to allow the difference to be seen. x is like Scottish ch.

Line 2 is consonants only and a reversable transcription: $ is shin, s is sin, S is samek.

Psalm 1 ( Words 67 / Phrases 39 / Verses 6) - using my current accidental division into prosodic words or versets.


Happy the man who אַשְׁרֵי הָאִישׁ אֲשֶׁר )àshréy ha)ish )asher
אשרי האיש אשר )$RY H)Y$ )$R

has not walked לֹא הָלַךְ lo) halàk
לא הלך L) HLk

in the advice of the wicked בַּעֲצַת רְשָׁעִים bà`acàt rsha`im
בּעצת רשעים B`Ct R$`Ym

and in the way of sinners וּבְדֶרֶךְ חַטָּאִים ubderek xà+a)im
ובדרךחטאים VbdRk X+)Ym

has not stood לֹא עָמָד lo) `amad
לא עמד L) `md

and in the seat of the scornful וּבְמוֹשַׁב לֵצִים ubmoshàb lécim
ובמושב לצים VbmV$b LCYm

has not sat לֹא יָשָׁב lo) yashab
לא ישב L) Y$b

In this case כִּי אִם ki )im
כּי אם KY )m

in the teaching of the LORD בְּתוֹרַת יְהוָה btoràt yy
בּתורת יי BtVRt YY

is his delight; חֶפְצוֹ xpco
חפצו XpCV

and in his teaching וּבְתוֹרָתוֹ ubtorato
ובתורתו VbtVRtV

he meditates day and night; יֶהְגֶּה יוֹמָם וָלָיְלָה yehgeh yomam valaylah
יהגּה יומםולילה YHGH YVmm VLYLH

then he shall be וְהָיָה vhayah
והיה VHYH

like a tree כְּעֵץ k`éc
כּעץ K`C

transplanted שָׁתוּל shatul
שתול $tVL

by streams of water, עַל-פַּלְגֵי-מָיִם `àl-pàlgéy-mayim
על-פּלגי-מים `L-PLgY-mYm

that is fruitful, reliable, אֲשֶׁר פִּרְיוֹ יִתֵּן )asher pirio yitén
אשר פּריו יתּן )$R PRYV YTn

in its time, בְּעִתּוֹ b`ito
בּעתּו B`TV

and its leaf וְעָלֵהוּ v`aléhu
ועלהו V`LHV

does not fade; לֹא-יִבּוֹל lo)-yibol
לא-יבּול L)-YBVL

and in all that it does וְכֹל אֲשֶׁר-יַעֲשֶׂה vkol )asher-yà`aseh
וכל אשר-יעשה VkL )$R-Y`sH

it shall prosper. יַצְלִיחַ yàcliàx
יצליח YCLYX

Not so the wicked ones; לֹא-כֵן הָרְשָׁעִים lo)-kén harsha`im
לא-כן הרשעים L)-kn HR$`Ym

in this case כִּי אִם ki )im
כּי אם KY )m

like debris כַּמֹּץ kàmoc
כּמּץ KMC

which scatters wind אֲשֶׁר-תִּדְּפֶנּוּ רוּחַ )asher-tidpenu ruàx
אשר-תּדּפנּו רוח )$R-TDpNV RVX

Therefore עַל-כֵּן `àl-kén
על-כּן `L-Kn

shall not stand לֹא-יָקֻמוּ lo)-yaqumu
לא-יקמו L)-YQmV

wicked ones רְשָׁעִים rsha`im
רשעים R$`Ym

in the judgment, בַּמִּשְׁפָּט bàmishpa+
בּמּשפּט BM$P+

nor sinners וְחַטָּאִים vxà+a)im
וחטאים VX+)Ym

in the company of the righteous. בַּעֲדַת צַדִּיקִים bà`adàt càdiqim
בּעדת צדּיקים B`dt CDYQYm

For knows כִּי-יוֹדֵעַ ki-yodéà`
כּי-יודע KY-YVd`

the LORD יְהוָה yy
יי YY

the way of דֶּרֶךְ derek
דּרך DRk

the righteous; צַדִּיקִים càdiqim
צדּיקים CDYQYm

and the way of וְדֶרֶךְ vderek
ודרך VdRk

wicked ones רְשָׁעִים rsha`im
רשעים R$`Ym

shall perish. תֹּאבֵד to)béd
תּאבד T)bd

No comments: