Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hebrew and Greek

I had deleted this - because my question was so ill formed. Then I see that it is still on the aggregators - so I put it back

Translations of Psalm 141:6 (Greek 140) - as with many psalms seem to read differently. I have not looked at enough of them yet. What I hoped was that some kind soul would explicate the LXX reading. My reading is positive since I see the psalm as recording lessons in trouble for the psalmist so that when others are in trouble, he can offer words that are sweet to their ears. My old JB makes it read like sarcasm rather than sweetness.

I would be interested in other opinions...

Greek: κατεπόθησαν ἐχόμενα πέτρας οἱ κριταὶ αὐτῶν· ἀκούσονται τὰ ρήματά μου ὅτι ἡδύνθησαν.

Hebrew: נִשְׁמְטוּ בִידֵי-סֶלַע, שֹׁפְטֵיהֶם; וְשָׁמְעוּ אֲמָרַי, כִּי נָעֵמוּ.

KJV: When their judges are overthrown in stony places, they shall hear my words; for they are sweet.

Also I note that I am beginning to think there are some (more) grand circular structures in the final redaction of the psalms. 140, 141 match somewhat with 3, 4, and 5. More detailed analysis required.

Now let's see what blogger software does with this Greek font - bunches of little boxes I bet on some machines.

No comments: